At Highway 71 Veterinary Hospital in Cedar Creek, our compassionate and dedicated veterinary team understands the harsh battle our pets can face with fleas, ticks, and other parasites. We offer a vast selection of flea and tick control medications for dogs, cats, and other animals to help stave off symptoms and diseases caused by these pests.
Why Flea & Tick Medication Matters
There are quite a few parasites here in the Lone Star State, so taking precautions against them is highly recommended by our Cedar Creek veterinarian. Fleas, ticks, and worms not only create discomfort for our furry friends, but they can also cause diseases and conditions that affect the health of family members too. We’ll cover the most common issues below.
Flea and Tick-Sourced Itching and Skin Issues
Fleas and ticks are common, and they can result in persistently itchy skin that keeps pets scratching. This can cause numerous issues like bleeding sores, rashes, and hair loss. Those who are allergic to these pests can also suffer from a variety of infections that require medical intervention.
Tick infestations not only leave bites—they can also cause a number of health problems. Most commonly, symptoms begin in the form of rashes, fever, pain, and sores on animals. However, there are several tick-borne diseases that their bite can cause including:
- Lyme Disease
- Powassan (POW)
- Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
When infected ticks bite the human or animal host, they may become infected.
Heartworms, hookworms, and roundworms are extremely dangerous parasitic infections that can spread throughout the body, including the cardiovascular system and the gastroenterological tract. Flea and tick infestations are a common source of worm infestations, which makes preventive treatments vital.
The upside is that there are several types of flea and tick medications that are effective for numerous types of parasite prevention. Our most recommended flea and tick preventive and treatment options include:
- Flea and Tick Shampoo: Routine baths with a quality flea and tick shampoo can both eliminate and prevent infestations of these critters.
- Flea and Tick Sprays: For immediate treatment, a flea and tick spray can kill both the live invaders and their eggs.
- Flea and Tick Collars: Flea and tick collars can last up to 8 months effectively.
- Parasite Pills for Canines: We have chewable treats for dogs that are effective against fleas, ticks, and worms.
- Liquid Flea & Tick Treatments: A small liquid tube dispenses a fast-acting treatment to the nape or tail region of pets to eradicate fleas and ticks.
Contact Highway 71 Veterinary Hospital
After an evaluation of your cat or dog’s condition, our veterinarian in Cedar Creek, Dr. Jean Ohlen, will guide you towards the best parasite prevention medication to suit your pet's health and lifestyle. Schedule an appointment online or call us today at (512) 303-5444.